Roy J. Portenga, PLC is a direct descendent of the Muskegon/Holland firm Libner, VanLeuven, Kortering, Evans & Portenga. From day one, the firm has specialized in serving the injured and disabled. Roy has over 35 years of legal experience and focuses on social security disability and workers' compensation.
Specialties: Social Security Disability and Workers' Compensation
Roy J. Portenga
Roy J. Portenga was born and raised in Muskegon, Michigan.
- Associates Degree, Muskegon Community College, ’73; BA with HIgh Distinction, University of Michigan, ’75; Juris Doctor, Valparaiso University, ’81.
- Teacher, Michigan Department of Corrections, ’76-’78.
- Member, State Bar of Michigan and Muskegon County Bar Association; Licensed in the State of Michigan, U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan, U.S. Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit.
- Publications include The Need for a National Workers' Compensation Minimum Standards Act, Improving the Attorney/Voc. Rehab. Relationship, Letter to House Commerce Committee on Workers' Comp Reform reprinted in the Building Tradesman, etc.
- Legal Honors: inducted into the State Bar of Michigan Workers' Compensation Law Section Hall of Fame, 2020; has been listed in the area of Workers' Compensation in Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; has been named a Leading Lawyer by the Leading Lawyers Network in the areas of Social Security and Workers' Compensation; Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation (limited to 5% of the State Bar of Michigan); past Secretary, Tresusuer, Vice-President and President Muskegon County Bar Association; Muskegon Legal Secretaries' Association "Boss of the Year".
- Rated AV Preeminent by the rating organization Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating given in the areas of integrity and skill.
- Seminar / Convention Speaker: SEAK National Workers' Compensation and Occupational Medicine Seminar (Hyannis, MA); the Michigan State Convention of Delegates for the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union; the State Conference for the Michigan Self-Insurers Association; the State Convention of the Michigan Chiropractic Society; the State Convention of the Michigan Association of Legal Support Professionals; the National Business Institute; the Grand Rapids Bar Association; etc.
- Elected member of the Board of Trustees of Muskegon Community College (named MCC Alumnus of the Year, 2020); Board Member, First Congregational Church, Muskegon; Board Member, Jefferson Towers Senior Housing Complex, Muskegon.